Mrs Cooper introducing the class Author
Welcome to Year 5 at St Maria Goretti
Year 5 Staff: Mrs Costa, Mrs Stubbs & Miss Eccleston
Class Author: Michael Morpurgo
Autumn Term: Our Learning
- Miracles and the Sacraments of the Sick
The Girl With Ink and Stars by Kiran Millwood Hargrave
Who Let the Gods Out by Maz Evans
Ancient Greeks Why they matter us by Juliet Kerrigan
- Greek Myths
- Fictional Biography
- Pupil led narrative
- Non-chronological reports:
- Letters (formal)
Numbers and the Number System:
- Read, write, order and compare numbers to at least 1 000 000 and determine the value of each digit
Count forwards or backwards in steps of powers of 10 for any number up to 1 000 000.
- Interpret negative numbers in context, count forwards and backwards with positive and negative whole numbers, including through zero.
- Round any number up to 1 000 000 to the nearest 10, 100, 1000, 10 000 and 100 000.
- Read Roman numerals to 1000 (M) and recognise years written in Roman numerals.
Addition and Subtraction
- Add and subtract numbers mentally with increasingly large numbers.
- Add and subtract whole numbers with more than 4 digits, including using formal methods (columnar + & -)
- Solve problems involving + - x ÷ and a combination of these, including understanding meaning of = sign
- Solve comparison, sum and difference problems using information presented in a line graph
- Complete, read and interpret information in tables, including timetables.
Multiplication and Division
- Multiply and divide numbers mentally drawing upon known facts
- Multiply and divide whole numbers and those involving decimals by 10, 100 & 1000.
- Identify multiples & factors; find all factor pairs of a number & common factors of 2 numbers.
- Know & use the vocabulary of prime numbers, prime factors & composite non-prime numbers.
- Establish whether a number up to 100 is prime; recall primes up to 19.
- . Recognise and use square numbers & cube numbers and notation for squared 2, cubed 3
- Measure and calculate the perimeter of composite rectilinear shapes in centimetres and metres.
- Calculate and compare the area of rectangles (including squares) and including using standard units, square centimetres (cm2) & square metres (m2) and estimate the area of irregular shapes
Enquiry types- Research, pattern seeking, fair and comparison testing, identify and classify, observe over time
- Living things in their habitats – is there a relationship between a mammal’s size and its gestation period?
- Animals including humans – Are the oldest children in our school that tallest?
Ancient Greece: What was it like to be a Greek Soldier?
- Locate the world’s countries, using maps to focus on Europe
- Use maps, atlases, globes and digital/computer mapping to locate countries and describe features studied
- Identify and describe how the physical features affect the human activity within a location.
Concept focuses- Farming
- Understand chronology
- Investigate and interpret the past
- To build an overview of the world
- To communicate historically
- Ancient sculptors: Myron, Phidias, Polyclitus, Praxiteles, Scopas, and Lysippus.
- Statues of Zeus and Athena
- To create sketch books to record their observations and use them to review and revisit ideas
- To improve their mastery of art and design techniques, including drawing, painting and sculpture with a range of materials
- Learn about great artists, architects and designers in history.
- Ancient Greek Clothing:
- Patterns and seam allowance for clothes.
- Use research and develop design criteria to inform the design of innovative, functional, appealing products that are fit for purpose, aimed at particular individuals or group
- Generate, develop, model and communicate their ideas through discussion, annotated sketches, cross-sectional and exploded diagrams, prototypes, pattern pieces and computer-aided design
- Design, write and debug programs that accomplish specific goals, including controlling or simulating physical systems; solve problems by decomposing them into smaller parts
- Use sequence, selection, and repetition in programs; work with variables and various forms of input and output
- Use technology safely, respectfully and responsibly; recognise acceptable/unacceptable behaviour; identify a range of ways to report concerns about content and contact
- Numbers to 50
- Towns and features
- Growing-animals and humans
- Christmas songs and stories
- ASM-American Football
- Tag Rugby
- Bench Ball
City Music Service
- Strings-Year 5 will select a string instrument to learn to play
- Being me in my world (Autumn 1)
- Celebrating Difference (Autumn 2)
Year 5 and Year 6 Prayers
|Y5 - Home Learning - wc 13.7.2020.pdf||Download|
|Y5 - Home Learning - wc 6.7.2020.pdf||Download|
|Y5 - Home Learning - wc 29.6.2020.pdf||Download|
|Year 6 Transition Week 1 Maths.pdf||Download|
|Y5 - Home Learning - wc 22.6.2020.pdf||Download|
|Y5 - Home Learning - wc 15.6.2020.pdf||Download|
|Y5 - Home Learning - wc 8th June.pdf||Download|
|Y5 - Home Learning - wc 1.6.2020.pdf||Download|
|Y5 Home Learning - wc 18th May 2020.pdf||Download|
|Y5 Home Learning - wc 11th May 2020.pdf||Download|