Maths at St Maria Goretti
At St Maria Goretti we follow the National Programmes of Study for Key Stages 1 and 2.
'Mathematics is essentail to everyday life, critical to science, technology and engineering, and nexessary for financal literacy and most forms of emplyment.' - Maths National Curriculum 2014.
The aims of teaching Mathematics at our school are to ensure that all pupils:
- Become fluent in the fundamentals of Mathematics
- Develop conceptual understanding and the ability to recall and apply knowledge rapidly and accurately.
- Are able to reason mathematically following a line of enquiry.
- Are able to solve problems
- Are able to use mathematical vocabulary accurately
Pupils should become confident and secure in mental methods as well as written methods and make choices as to which method is the most efficient to use. Our Calculation Policy sets out how methods are taught throughout the school.